Thursday, February 10, 2011

L'anniversaire de Madeleine

Yesterday (Wednesday), was my friend Madeleine's birthday. She turned 21, and even though that isn't a big deal in Europe because the drinking age is 18 (unless you have parental consent, as I recently learned from a French friend), a birthday is a birthday and it is a very good reason to get together with friends to eat, laugh, talk, and enjoy. Madeleine chose a restaurant that has one star in the Michelin guide, meaning it is freaking amazing. Us four Californians left over from the Octi-Claire were a little overwhelmed by the formality of this place. The servers were all extremely attentive, from the moment they took our coats to the moment we paid. It wasn't busy at all; we were the only people in our particular room, and a number of employees waited on us with the greatest attention. Each seemed to have their own little job, for example the wine pourer (who had really beautiful eyes).

The pre-fixed meal started with an "amuse bouche", a little something to wake up our taste buds. It was a little appetizer that resembled sushi right down to the salmon inside it. Next up was the entrée, which I didn't get a picture of, but consisted of little tuna steaks that melted in your mouth. The main course was a portion of calamari and veggies covered in an incredible sauce which was extremely satisfying. So delicious! I wish I could have more of it right now. Dessert was crêpes with an orange sauce, also extremely delicious, and that was followed by a café and a selection of bon bons: a macaron, a truffle, and a little thing that tasted like Thanksgiving in my mouth because of the cranberry sauce and buttery cookie that was a part of it.












After lunch, we went our separate ways. Autumn and I walked along the river back towards our apartment, but ended up spending a couple hours on a bench bonding over conversation. It was so nice and relaxing after the meal. Also, the day was so beautiful! I can't believe it was just a week ago that I was wearing every layer I could, and now I'm out in a dress and a light sweater. I love Bordeaux when it is sunny. It makes me feel so happy. :)







That night, Kim and I went over to Madeleine's for facials. Kim ended up making tea eggs (I LOVE TEA EGGS) and Madeleine curled my hair (by the way, she cut my hair Monday so it is short once again, just how I like it), and I actually kinda liked how it turned out. I wouldn't mind doing it for a special occasion every once in a while. We spent a little time planning our trip to northern France and Luxembourg, which we are doing Feb 19-28 during the winter break. I had to walk home since the tram had stopped running at midnight, and along the way I witnessed three French youth in their underwears jumping (no, attempting to jump) into the pond at Place de Gambetta. Also I was asked directions to the train station by a guy on a bike who I initially ignored because I thought he was just trying to talk to me (I don't really consider it unfriendly when it's 1h30 and I'm alone). I was able to tell him, which is always such a great confidence booster because not only do I know where this place is, but I can give directions in French!

We did some more planning for our trip today, but Mont St. Michel is causing us some problems because it isn't the easiest place to get to and away from apparently. Spent the evening with my upstairs neighbors and my landlord and his wife during a little goodbye party for a girl who is moving out. They brought one of their 7 months old twins up since she wasn't sleeping. She is such a chunky little baby! But so full of laughter and energy, very adorable. I hope to meet her brother soon.

Time for sleep now, I should probably be awake for class and rock climbing tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment