Thursday, February 10, 2011

Monday Night Themed Dinners

My friend Madeleine had the fantastic idea that a few of us should get together each Monday for a little dinner. We made up a list of themes that we choose the week before and so far have had three of these meals. All have been delicious, of course. :)

The first one was on January 24; we made tagine kefta, a popular Moroccan dish, in honor of Madeleine's and my one week stay in Morocco over the Christmas holiday (before I went to Italy and met up with Kim for two weeks). Tagine is a mixture of veggies, meat, and broth. Very delicious! As we learned in Morocco, you are supposed to take a piece of bread and scoop it to the side of the dish and kind of fold it into the bread. They even have special tagine pans, which are very cool. Unfortunately I don't think I can take one back home because it is too big and heavy. Maybe I will be able to find one in California, but I doubt it. At least I have the memory!
I didn't take any pictures of the one we made (but they are on my friend's facebook), but here is one that we ate in Casablanca, Morocco at our friend's home:



See what I mean about the scooping?

Ok, the second night was January 31, hamburgers and milkshakes. It is impossible to get a good milkshake over here. They don't make them with enough ice cream and always end up as a thicker version of chocolate milk. I've gotten maybe three or four here and have been disappointed every time. I even got one at an American diner here in Bordeaux. The food was crappy, but they did have a license plate that said WYLIE so I might be back someday. When Kim and I were in Venice we went to Hard Rock Cafe and although the hamburgers were delicious, the milkshakes were highly disappointing once again. And the waiter called it their thick milkshake. Yeah, right.
We proved that it is possible to make a good milkshake in Europe, though. With a lot of ice cream and a little milk. :)




And the third night was Asian night, since it was the Lunar New Year last weekend. I made Spam Musubi for the first time and discovered how easy it is, so I will definitely be bringing it to potlucks in the future.


Next Monday is dessert night for Valentine's Day! Hopefully we won't be too overloaded with sugar by the end of it. 
Side note: I was just invited to my upstairs neighbors for the first time because one of them is moving out. Off I go :)

No comments:

Post a Comment