Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Another notch on my travel post

Yup, just got back from England. Fourth time in the UK since August! Whoa.

I like England, it's cute. I had a really good time in Oxford Wednesday night to Saturday morning. Kim and I explored the town and got to know it pretty well. She did her university thing on Friday, while I did my tourist thing. We cooked French food. I got to see my friend Nadhira from Davis, who goes to Oxford Brookes University now. My new found love for old books was supported upon discovery of the secondhand sections in the amazing Blackwell's bookstore. I bought a book of "Selected Czech Tales" with a note on the inside front cover "To Dorothea, Christmas 1928" and the Oxford print on the bind. I had a hard time deciding on one book to buy, but that note really did it. It was a good choice, I'm already half through and each story has been really good. I saw the Oxford University Press, but couldn't go inside. I saw a blackboard Albert Einstein had written on, along with the pub where J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis used to chill together.

Then London. For the second time I wasn't too impressed, and I think I figured out why. It's too fucking stressful. Sunday I saw some things I hadn't seen before, and it made me feel slightly better about the city (Buckingham Palace, Hyde Park, aka the more relaxed area of the city, I suppose). Even so, though. I was really glad to get back to Bordeaux.

Homesickness has set in again. Sigh. Probably going for a run tonight to try to get rid of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment