Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Au revoir, Paris

This weekend I went to Paris, probably for the last time in a very long time. Who knows when I'll get back. I had been thinking about spending two weeks there in July, so that I could see the end of the Tour de France and celebrate Bastille Day with the French, but the June 25 date that my travel agent recommended to me is starting to look better. I get out of school in early May; I'll do a little traveling with friends after finals (hopefully to Greece!), and then pretty much everyone I know will be leaving. There's a three day musical festival I want to go to in early June in Germany (Coldplay, Kings of Leon, We Are Scientists, System of a Down, other good bands; it's called Rock Am Ring), then I'll spend a week traveling in southern France, and back to Bordeaux for ten days or so to say goodbye and to see the river festival). After that, back to real life. I think I'll be ready by then.

I was able to do the three things in Paris that I've been wanting to do for a while but never had the time each trip I go back.

Espace Dali: Some of Salvador Dali's sculptures and sketches were on display. He's my favorite artist so of course I was in heaven. None of his paintings were there, but representations in sculpture were, which in my opinion are just as cool. The colors of the paint aren't visible, but the 3D abstractness makes up for it in so many ways. I think I actually prefer his work that way.

Catacombes: One of the creepiest places in Paris, and I went alone. Six million people's bones have been arranged in walls and pillars, in various designs. Pretty much, the Paris cemeteries got too full so they dug up all the bones and put them down in the Catacombes, and then later arranged them so they could be put on public display. I made friends with the security guard and he told me that people are really disrespectful by stealing and touching the bones (ok, I'll admit I touched one for a split second just to see if it would move), along with using flash. He showed me holes where people have taken the skulls out (gross), and showed me the difference between a skull that had been touched a lot and one that hadn't. He also said that while they were making these walls, they would throw the broken bones behind, and that they go up to 50m back. Crazy how many are down there. After giving me all this useful information he tried to get me to hang out with him after work. No thanks, man.
*As I was leaving I was asked to open my bag, and I noticed on the table a skull and some other bones. Two girls were sitting down next to it. CAUGHT.

L'Orangerie: Monet's Lily paintings, and I got in free (advantages of being a student in France, lots of discounts and free entry). I couldn't believe how big and beautiful they were. Two giant oval shaped rooms, with one giant painting on each side, equaling eight of the most incredible scenes ever. Up close it looks like blotches, but the farther away you get the more you can see how it all fits together.


I also get to check out an English bookstore across from Notre Dame called Shakespeare and Co. It was kind of expensive but I made two really great finds: A copy of Nathaniel Hawthorne's The House of the Seven Gables, marked at 4€ but I talked down to 3€ because a couple pages were falling out, and an amazing old Europe guide book from 1954 that I paid 2€ for. It includes black and white pictures and, as I discovered on the train ride back to Bordeaux, a pressed flower and a pressed leaf from who knows where and when. I am absolutely in love with it.

Also...I'd like to proudly announce that I went to Paris with 50€ for three days and that is exactly what I spent. I think I have perfected budget traveling. Couchsurfing helps so much.

I wish I had pictures to post along with this, but alas, my camera is still broken. It was kind of a relief not taking pictures, though.

Tomorrow I'm leaving for Oxford and London for the weekend, then no more traveling for a little while :)

No comments:

Post a Comment